One of the more popular genealogy programs (Windows wise), the 2006 edition of Family Tree Maker has been officially announced.
Among the changes:
- Better search and merge features
- Better source management and source reporting
- Easier data entry and more note/research space
- Better chart creation/printing/managing
- Backup your Family Tree Maker files to their secure servers (only free for the first three months)
- It also looks like they’ve added some research tools similar to GenSmarts
If you really need an online backup service, you could always get a free Google G-Mail account that has over a gig of storage, and just email yourself your genealogy files. It’s about as secure as anything else, and can be accessed from anywhere. Comment or email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’d like a Google G-Mail account – I have around 50 invites still left.